Tuesday, March 30, 2010

12 questions for shelby scudder


Last summer I had the pleasure of meeting Shelby Scudder, a tall, freelance fashion designer whose personal features are striking and style is all the more outrageous. Shelby mostly works with designer Zaldy who she describes as “a brilliantly creative mind and wonderful friend." Most recently, she helped Zaldy design the costumes for Michael Jackson's This Is It Tour, and Lady Gaga's The Monster Ball Tour, (her head wear design is pictured above) that are "maybe the two most exciting projects I could ever dream up!" she gushes. An energetic story-teller, Shelby recalls her days with designer Paris Kain who was "perhaps as breathtaking as his designs, and as we worked in his illegal Brooklyn loft he would make me bizzaro sandwiches, and fresh pot of tea... then later it would be time for a spliff and a glass of red.” Read Lizzard's interview with Scudder below.

(lizzard)Who are your favorite designers? (shelby scudder) Hmm, I really never have consistent favorites...I guess I would say Pucci, but by that I mean Emilio, not the array of designers who have taken over in the many years since his death. In general I like fashion that is rad but simultaneously has a sense of humor, like DSquared2 and Jeremy Scott, because I don't take myself too seriously. This season I really loved the colors and shapes at the Balenciaga show, and surprisingly the jackets at Burberry Prosum really spoke to me.
How would you describe your style? Tough 90s tomboy on a colorful 80s acid trip, or a girlie 70s mushroom trip, depending on the day.
What do you believe are staple items that every girl should own? Jean shorts and flannels. Over and over, baby.
Where do you find inspiration? On the streets!! And in Vogue Nippon. And old music videos they play on VH1 Classic at the gym.
Worst fashion trend? And best? Worst is labels. People tend to believe something is great because of who made it, but aesthetics should really be the determinant. Best is individualism! I like when people dress like the best version of themselves as opposed to the best version of what is "Best" at the time.
What items do you always carry with you? Cherry Vaseline, my camera, extra contacts, and a ring (in case I forget to put any on in the morning).
What’s on your play list now? I’ve recently gone on a Regina Spektor relapse... but also lots of Scissor Sisters and the XX. “Anywhere I lay my head” by Scarlett Johansson, “F**k and Run” by Liz Phair, “Gravel Pit” by Wu Tang and “You make me wanna” by Usher. Plus constants like Lauryn Hill, the Gossip, the Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Stevie Nicks and “These days” by Nico. I love a bitch that can sing.
Who is your favorite artist? My mother.
What is your main fault? Worrying!! What people think, what people want, what will happen. But I have lots of faults I’m still trying to get myself in order.
Where would you like to live? By the ocean.
What are your favorite flower and bird? Casablanca lilies; any bird that has amazing colors.
What is your favorite motto? Do everything you want to, wear anything you want to, tell the people you love how much you love them; get rid of the nasty ones- no time! I aint got the time!!


Shelby with her own design in Henri Bendel, and working in the studio on designs for gaga

Recent Posts