Tuesday, April 29, 2008

linda mccartney exhibition in london

here's an email I got from my best friend studying abroad in London regarding the Linda McCartney photography exhibition she saw yesterday in London. thanks for the email, lamb! hope it comes to NYC this summer.
......................

Hey Lamb,

I went to the Linda McCartney exhibit at the James Hyman Gallery yesterday. Here is the link to the photos (if you want to put up the ones that I enjoyed most):

While the exhibit was advertised with an array of photos featuring 'counter-culture heroes' like Mick Jagger, Janis Joplin, and Jim Morrison, my favorite pieces in the gallery were those of the McCartney family. The exhibit was introduced with a narrative by Paul describing the way in which Linda could naturally capture a moment without carrying the imposing nature of a third-wheel photographer.

My favorite pieces from the exhibit was Linda's self-portrait taken in Francis Bacon's bedroom studio. Taken in 1997, only a few months before her death, Linda stands in the background of a mirror reflection, staring calmly and wearing all black. In the photograph, there is an empty sofa, a crack in the mirror and William Blake's death mask. It felt as if she had stumbled upon this room and without a thought. She captured a moment perfectly.

The exhibit also featured several family photographs. My favorite among these was the one in which Linda's son is jumping from the car and Paul is standing on the fence. The photo of Stella in Monsserat is also amusing (as she is a small girl standing beneath birth control advertisements).

Expecting cliche 'Rolling Stones' photographs, I was surprised by both the photos of John and Paul working together and that of Pete Townshend.

I'm not sure if this exhibit will travel to New York, but if it does--I highly recommend it.

I don't know if that's what you're looking for lamb, but you would have LOVED this exhibit. And afterwards I went to my favorite cupcake place in London. You would have liked that too!

Miss you LAMMMMMBYYYYY

.................end


.

No comments:

Recent Posts